Thursday, February 26, 2009

What a Way to Wake Up!

Tuesday morning Ross and I were woke up by his phone ringing. This happens all the time and it is always some subcontractor with a question or a problem or even security guards who have something to report on Ross' houses. Not this time. I could tell by the way Ross answered the phone. All he said was okay and hung up the phone. He looked at me and said I just got called into the corporate office with the big dogs first thing this morning. We both knew it was over.

Ross was in fact laid off along with other people. They told Ross it wasn't personal. Let me just go ahead and roll my eyes at that. Obviously, they have never been laid off before. How else are you supposed to take that??? Ross did get a tremendous amount of calls from his coworkers and subcontractors and everyone just seemed to be in shock. The lady that owns Ross' cleaning company called crying. Ross' boss' wife was crying. Ross came home and had about 30 minutes where he was angry. He got over that really quickly and I had about 30 minutes last night where I was angry. I guess emotions are to be expected. Shelby has not been angry though. She has enjoyed the last day or so with daddy at home. Wooohooo...someone else other than mom!!! Ross got a good severance package, thankfully. He signed a contract that he would not talk about it though. Let me just go ahead and roll my eyes at that one too! Luckily we have savings and I have been super busy at real estate and should hopefully have 2 good closings in the next 4 or 5 weeks. I have to be honest. I do feel a little responsible for all of this. More than once last week, I caught myself thinking how am I going to keep on this pace with real estate and be able to be at home with Shelby. Maybe God decided to go ahead and answer that question. Ross would be ecstatic to be at home with Shelby everyday. He would be the best stay at home dad. But, that is not the plan right now. Ross has already been networking and we have had so many calls from friends and family saying call this guy at this company or this company is hiring. Ross is headed out this morning to go and talk to a couple of companies. Say a little prayer for Ross, please!

As for Shelby.....she is all about giving kisses right now and kissing owies or bobos whatever you call them. She has been dancing more and more lately. Whenever you get in the car she lets you know she wants the radio on. As soon as you turn it on she just starts shaking it in her car seat. I guess dance lessons are not too far away. I can just see her in a tutu!!! We have been spending more and more time outside and Shelby loves it!!! She plays in the sandbox that daddy built her and grandma and aunt Kristen bought her a little picnic table that she LOVES! She eats a lot of her meals there. I think we will get in another zoo trip before Ross goes back to work. The weather is just so nice!

Well, I am going to end this by saying that a prayer is greatly appreciated. Don't worry about us though, we were prepared and we are scrappy :). They are a lot of families dealing with this right now that are in far worse shape and that is where my prayers are directed. Hopefully my next post is tell you about Ross' new job.

2 comments:

Nicole Hoff said...

Saying prayers. God always has a plan!

Ann Jud said...

Hey, we have been there before and we will be praying for you. Just think of it like this. You can make more money being laid off than farming these days. Mark says that he pays to get to work!