Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm Dreaming of a White Thanksgiving...

...and my dream came true.

Thanksgiving has come and gone, and I'm pretty sure I need a vacation from my vacation. We started the holidays off at the cabin in Ellinger for a Thanksgiving dinner that could have fed an army. Good food and good company was had by all.
On Friday, David and I headed west to Sierra Blanca where we met up with Papa Crockett (Kim's Grandfather) and two of his friends to hunt some very elusive mule deer. We went to hunt deer, but we definitely spent more time watching the weather than anything else. Four to five inches of snow to be exact. It started snowing about 10 am on Saturday and, baring a couple of short breaks, it kept snowing until Sunday morning at 9 am or so. We had a lot of fun watching the weather, riding in the snow, playing some dominoes, and eating to our hearts content. We didn't shoot anything, but we did have a good time and here are some pictures to prove it.



David cooking a turkey and a ham in his famous Dutch ovens
(Travis this is what a real Dutch oven looks like)


The cabin was full, but everyone found a corner to get comfy in


This was Kim's cousin Wade's comfy corner of the bed

The sunset on Friday in Sierra Blanca

This was Sunday morning when we got up to hunt

The house that Papa and his friends stayed in


David and I rode around in his new used Jeep on Saturday Afternoon while it snowed. It worked like a charm.


Sunday morning we braved the snow in our four wheelers and Kim told me later that she heard I was hot dogging in the snow.

It was pretty fun.



David on his ancient four wheeler

David claims that this bike is on its fifth life

This is on top of the highest road on the ranch. It is a pretty hairy drive down especially in the snow. Twice I started gaining speed even though I had the brakes locked.

This video is when the snow started falling and the building that I pan to is where David and I slept. It is a cozy bungalow built into the side of a hill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really looks pretty but cold.

Sherry

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun!!!